Thursday, December 15, 2011

Internet Safety Project - Part 2

I spoke with my younger sister about a few of the topics I read about.  Specifically, we talked about divulging information on social networking sites and about avoiding phishing and internet fraud.  She is a senior in high school this year and is constantly online collaborating with friends and classmates on various projects.

The conversation was fairly easy.  She knew many of the basic things that I wanted to talk to her about and had some idea of how to stay safe.  She was surprised to know how easy it can be to fall for phishing traps or get viruses from suspicious downloads and websites.

I asked my sister how many of her friends used online social media sites and the like and what they did.  I was surprised to learn that most of her friends did not take the internet very seriously, counter to what I had read and seen from my previous research.  Social media sites for them were little more than bragging tools for showing off cool things that you had done (pictures, stories, etc.) and not as a second life.  She was comfortable not divulging too much information online since she didn't see it as a very important part of her life.

Because they were fun and I knew she would look at them, I shared with her the animated videos about internet safety that I had found (http://www.ikeepsafe.org/for-educators/fauxpaw/).  She is going to watch them with my other sister for fun.  Hopefully she will find some more useful things from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment